Thursday, April 21, 2011

Black Bean & Spinach Enchilada Casserole

I'm typing this bad boy on the iPad so my apologies for the smaller font this post, as I can't figure out how to change the size on here. I'm also going to go ahead and apologize if I have ever posted this recipe. I have no recollection of posting it and I'm not a tagger and I wasn't going to sear h for it. Also, this recipe is worth posting twice.

I got the idea from Ben's dad who made enchiladas similar to this minus the cream cheese. I used to prepare this with plain Jane cream cheese that was until I discovered Philadelphia cooking cream. If you can't find the Santa Fe flavored cream you can do it my old school way with softened cream seasoned with chili powder and cumin to jazz it up.


Black Bean & Spinach Enchilada Casserole

4 burrito-sized flour tortillas
1 tub Philadelphia cooking creme, Santa Fe flavor
1 pkg. Frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 can Rotel, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1-2 cans enchilada sauce
1 c. Mexican shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 casserole dish. In a mixing bowl combine cooking creme, spinach, Rotel, black beans, and 1/4 nod enchilada sauce. Next, pour another 1/4 can of enchilada sauce in a shallow dish. Coat both sides of 2 tortillas and place in bottom of dish. Next, spread half of the cheese and spinach mixture and top with half of the cheese. Repeat with tortillas, mixture, and cheese. Pour remaining enchilada sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 7-10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.

Garnish with sour cream, diced tomatoes, and fresh cilantro.

This bad boy is even better heated up the next day and is a easy to meal to prepare to take to a sick friend or a new mommy.

Hope y'all enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds right up my alley. I saw the Philadelphia cooking cream at Schnuck's last week and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this what you made us after Lucy Kate was born? If so, it is AMAZING!!! And we ate on it for days! Nathan didn't even mind that there was no meat! haha

    ReplyDelete