Friday, February 4, 2011

Yum to the Tum.

Chicken Dorito Casserole. I can't believe I have never shared this awesome recipe with you guys.  It's a pretty popular one so some of you may have tried it or at least heard of it.  My roomates and I used to always make this when we lived together at Ole Miss. Funny story here.  Our senior year at UM, Paula Deen released her cookbook, Paula Deen Celebrates.  It would be a massive understatement to say that we were obsessed with Mrs. Paula.  We rushed home from class to watch her show at noon every single day.  Anywho, Mrs. Paula was going to be doing a book signing at our little bookstore on the square, Square Books. Of course we were in, super in!  We made Mrs. Paula a scrapbook about Oxford & Ole miss, had t-shirts made.  The t-shirts were super cute.  They had a Grove scene on the back with 3 stick figure girls holding 1 ingredient each.  One was holding butter, one with sugar, and one with bacon, Paula's favorite ingredients. We also had a little catchy phrase, I'm pretty sure it went like this: "From our Grove to your Stove." How. Corny. We even made her a little recipe book that included this recipe.  One of her more recent cookbooks, includes that exact recipe.  I'm just saying. 

Mrs. Paula Deen

She's reading our book we made

Wearing our t-shirts. I still have mine.


Anyways, Chicken Dorito Casserole. It's so basic and fool-proof.  This one has now become a regular on the rotation, especially since we now shop at Publix and they put Doritoes on BOGO it seems every other week.  And seriously, who can turn down a recipe that lets you munch on cheese Doritoes as you prep.  

Chicken Dorito Casserole
1 bag cheese Doritoes
1-2 lbs, chicken (cooked & shredded)
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken (seriously, whatever is in your pantry)
1 can Rotel (drained)
1-1 1/2 c. sour cream
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. chili powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1 c. shredded cheese (cheddar or mexi blend works good)

Preheat oven to 350.  In a mixing bowl, pour in sour cream and spices and mix until a light orange color.  Mix in soup & Rotel.  Finally, stir in the chicken.  Mix together until well blended.  Coat a 9x13 baking dish with spray.  Grab a couple handfuls of Doritos and break them up creating a "crust." Don't forget to eat a few.  Next, spread half of the soupy/chicken mixture over Doritos.  Top with half of the cheese. Repeat steps (Doritos, soup, cheese).  Cover and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven for 5 additional minutes. If I have a tomato laying around, I dice it up and sprinkle it on top of cheese before it goes back in the oven.  Garnish with jalepeno slices. So easy for weeknights & it is even better the next day leftover!

We are having folks over to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday!  We simply couldn't resist something that involves our favorites: football and food.  We are making Zannie's Black-Eyed Pea Dip & Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms. 

4 comments:

  1. Please come to my house and cook for me every night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made that casserole before. It is sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure she used ours. That is certainly what I am going to tell everyone. haha! I loved that day-- meeting Paula Deen was one of many highlights I experienced in college! :) And thanks for reminding me of this awesome recipe- I haven't baked it in forever- so doing that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this last week and my husband absolutely loved it. Will definitely be making it again. Thanks a bunch!!

    ReplyDelete