Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mexican Tomato Soup?

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the name but I find it more appealing than the name Rachel Ray gave it, Salsa Stoup.  This is my version of  Rachel's twist on plain Jane tomato soup which I am not a fan of so I was excited to try this recipe last year.  We made it last winter and we were sold.  It is so easy and even easier on the wallet. It's so hearty that you won't miss the meat at all.  The best part in my opinion is serving cheese quesadillas as a side, just like you would eat a grilled cheese with plain Jane tomato soup.  Brilliant? I know.

Mexican Tomato Soup
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 handful of sliced jalepenos, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
1 28 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can of chicken or vegetable stock
2-3 dashes of Tabasco
Chopped cilantro, tomatoes, & sour cream for garnish.

In a large soup pot, add olive oil and heat on medium heat until it starts to ripple.  Add bell pepper, onions, celery, & jalepenos.  Saute for 5 mintues, stirring occasionally until veggies start to sweat.  Add garlic, salt & pepper. Cook an additional 5 minutes.  Add stewed tomatoes, crushed tomatos, Rotel, stock, and Tabasco.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat bringing soup to slow simmer.  Let simmer 20-25 minutes.  Add desired toppings and don't forget the cheese quesadillas! 

Yummmmm. Looking forward to the leftovers for lunch on this chilly, snowy day. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds good! I do NOT like regular tomato soup, so I might have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! I am definitely saving this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your blog is so cute! and this recipe sounds DELISH!!

    ReplyDelete