Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lasagna Soup

I made this for dinner last night and I could barely finish my meal from all the "mmmming" I was doing.  Ben has rehearsals every night of the week, except those reserved for the Lord, for Scrooge the Musical that he is performing in December meaning I have been eating some lonely meals so I thought I'd make something super yummy and comforting.  No worries, there were plenty left over for Ben to enjoy today at lunch.  I wish I had packed myself a bigger bowl, I'm such a fattie.

My classmate Katie shared this recipe with me in the Spring and I made it once before it got to warm outside for me to actually enjoy eating soup.  I definitely don't remember it being this tasty.  Thanks again Katie for sharing this hearty dish.

Tastes Like Lasagna Soup

3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. Italian sausage (we like Jimmy Dean, it's in the gold packaging with regular sausage)
1 red & green bell pepper, diced (you can certainly just use one pepper if you like)
1 med. onion, diced
3 gloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes (I like Hunt's with the Italian seasonings added for extra POP!)
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce (they might sell a big can but I just stick with what I know)
1 32 oz carton of chicken stock
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (if these are too scary, leave them out)
2-3 tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1/4 c. grated parmesean cheese
6-8 oz. lasagna noodles, broken up (I used about 8 or so noodles)

In a large pot (or dutch oven if you're fortunate enough to own one), heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add sausage, peppers, onions, and garlic.  Stir occasionally until sausage is no longer pink.  Drain.  Return to pot and add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt & pepper. Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil and then reduce heat.  Let simmer for about 20 minutes.  Next, add the broken lasagna noodles and parmasean cheese.  Cook for about 12-15 to cook the lasagna noodles, stirring occasionally.  Top each serving with mozzarella cheese. 

Super delicious without all the work of layering!  Next time I might even add mushrooms. Yum!  Hope y'all enjoy!

3 comments: